Wase Saba Workshops
I have many years of experience as a facilitator of a wide range of sessions. Select an option below to learn more about what services I offer!
1. Sacred Speech
Revisiting major colonization and historical events that have adversely impacted First Peoples, intro to spoken word, 7 Sacred Teachings explanation & writing their own spoken word/land acknowledgement based on what they’ve learned
Equipment needed: Writing tools & paper/notebooks
2. Powwow 101 Teachings & Ethics
What is Powwow, connection to the drum, its importance to Indigenous People, stories of creation of each style, rights to practise, allyship vs ownership, regalia care and how to practice the dances with respect and integrity. The session will include learning the basic intertribal step, demonstrations from me and a group round dance
Length: 30min-1 hour
Equipment needed: Comfortable shoes & clothing, a bit of space to move
3. Traditional Music
Exploring the wood flute, rattle & hand drum through stories of origin and creation with traditional materials. Includes a shake/drum along and group round dance activity!
Length: 45min-1 hour
Equipment needed: Shakers
I facilitate indigenous cultural sessions for groups of all ages and sizes. This involves sharing my Sioux, Cree, and German cultural learnings with groups, and taking pride in being able to help people open their minds to new experiences, ideas, and world views. Want to learn more? Then contact me and we can figure out an excellent indigenous cultural lesson for you and your group.
- Cultural Crafts: Basic beading, medicine bags, safety pin head dresses, MMIW awareness red para-cord bracelets, dreamcatchers
- Traditional Indigenous Games: Crafting, stories and game play
- Traditional Crafting: Medicine bags, dreamcatchers, Metis sash bracelets & dot art
- Beading: Beginner Level
- Smudge Ceremony: what it is, the importance, what medicine to use, how to conduct the ceremony & after ceremony practice
- Presenting Protocol: What, where & how to present it
- Sharing Circles: Equal voice for all, inclusivity, talking tool & teaching
- Physical Ice Breaker Activities: Chief, Dogsled, Tipi (mingling), 4 Directions, Human Knot, Move Your Feet